Thursday, August 25, 2005

iPod-CD Shop-Hacking Sort of?

I saw this on the news and it basically says come to this store and burn our CDs then bring them back as many times as you can. Without getting a dirty look from the person behind the register. I don't know if this is new but it sure is interesting. You only get 70% back.


Is it worth it?
Here's the link to his different store location in New Jersey.

TechStyles: Buy, Burn and Return.
Local Music Store Has New Policy For The Digital World.

Brett Larson
Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK If you want a song now you point, click and download it. You'll get your song, but are you missing out on something? Independent music store owner Gary Scottie says yes.

“Back in the old days, at the hay day of the Beatles you would get a Beatles album, beautiful package, inside you have glossy pictures of the Beatles, foldout posters.”

“I feel like we are losing music as an art form that is collectible. I can see people are putting files on their computer and listening to it in portable format. But we are losing a collectible format that can be past down to generation to generation. I'm concerned.”

So his solution? A more liberal return policy: the idea is simple, you find a CD you like, you buy it (even if you think you like it). Take the CD home, maybe load it up on your iPod. If you want, you can take the CD back for store credit to maybe buy another CD and keep your music collection growing.

“If you want to bring it back we will give you 70% back in store credit. We can put it on a gift card so you can use it anytime you would like or you can use it now.”

His store already sells iPod accessories since many of his customers already have iPod's and although his return policy is a unique concept, customers are definitely interested.

“A lot of people are using it. People understand the policy; they don't really believe that we will give them their money back. So once they get used to it they get comfortable.”

But Gary also has a hidden motive in his liberal return policy, getting people exposed to the art form of music, something he doesn't think you can do downloading one song at a time.

“Downloading a song for $.99 is great if its a one hit wonder kind of thing but explore artist. This is an art form. We would like people to explore new music, hold their CD's and find new songs.” Gary told us.

And as for the future of music, it's not going anywhere any time soon, but what about the compact disc? Gary feels something new may come along to replace the CD, though it likely has a few good years left.

Thank you Brett Larson for the fine report now find this in NYC, for a one-to-one return.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:14 AM

    There are many people I know that don't like burning what they don't own. People naturally collect things. We are all kleptos. Only, most people I know don't buy films like I do. I have only 400 cd's (small by those that surround me). But, according to my iTunes, I have around 750 or some such crap. However, most people I know have in the range of 30 - 50 dvd's. I have over 1000 films on VHS and dvd. It just matters what your poison is. I find very little music collectable. But, I don't in any way shape or form support the downloading of movies. I like to hold it in my hands. Films are the only thing I fetishize, besides woman. But, films are cheaper. I have friends that feel that same way about music. They collect it. Ironically they listen to less music than I do. They like their genres and that is it. Personally I like having 80 gigs of music that won't quite fit on my iPod. Because, that way, unlike them, I can listen to Sinatra one minute and then immediately listen to Hard-Fi or Skinny Puppy the next. Digital technology provides selection and disposability. I wouldn't actually buy the greatest hits of New Kids On The Block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True I'm a collector and would prefer to get the actual CD instead of downloading the album.

    ReplyDelete

Mo' Money Links

Mo" Money

TV is educational. If you can't learn something everyday your box is broken.