Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Tragedy of an Underdog

If you came here from
TV Squad or Cinematical
this may mean something to you.

I do a lot of commenting on the Weblogs,Inc all over their myriad of sites. It's fun especially on TV Squad and Cinematical. They have a system of rewarding those people who leave good comments with giving them a star, if your bad and have stars they take one away. In early May they announced a contest, for the month of May whomever earned the most stars will receive an iPod shuffle or $100 and second place would receive $50. I already was a fan and started commenting more often, only on things I liked. I also started commenting on other Weblogs sites.
The competition was strong for most of the time a fellow Blogger, going by Underdog, kept a strong lead. She had great things to say and was more of an American Idol fan than I was, I stopped watching after Kelly Clarkson won. Then suddenly a little over half way through the contest she stopped writing. She kept up her own blog though.
Eventually I took the lead and one mysterious fellow named B was my closest rival, but this underscored how good Underdog was. I never would have won if she didn't give up. She was number one on at least four other sites and placed in the top ten for any others she visited. Until a day or so ago she was on Cinematical's list and she hasn't written in a month, she is number four in both AdJab and TV Squad.
On June 4th she left the following message on her blog
PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SOMETHING
It's not sorrow that's for sure. I'm done blogging! WOOHOO! It was a fun experiment, and I don't have to do it anymore. Blogging is like being on a 10 lane highway with nothing in site except more blogs - a few really good ones and a whole lot of really bad ones.
Now I won the contest and received my prize but only because she gave up and I noticed that with a majority of the commenters and bloggers that after a month or so they stop. Are they gone or do they have nothing left to say?

This is a tribute to all those who give up and encouragement to give a little more time.
Now there is a person who out of nowhere started commenting like crazy,moved Underdog out her position and I'm not sure if this is one person or a group/forum of people who will comment under the same name & email address just to win something.
So your asking why bother the less writers means a better chance for you? Well I like competition and true fans. So everyone write not necessarily more just stay on topic.

Okay enough of my preaching I need to rest.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:30 AM

    Yeah, I saw underdog too, and then "poof" gone. I didn't even see that ranking thing on the site till like 48 hours ago. I don't even know how that star thing works. I have been trying to figure that shit out for some time. The only thing I watch on TV is CSI: Miami, CSI, and Law and Order SVU. They are such bad shows, the concept that the one cop does all that and then gets it wrapped up in one hour is just comical. Other than that, I only watch MSNBC and the History Channel, which is kinda obvious from my site. I didn't start mine too long ago, but, I can't quit it. It gives me good practice forming monologues, essays, jokes and rants for screenplays. I think Cinematical really is one of the few respectable movie news sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:40 AM

    Oh yeah, also, since you obviously know more about that star system than I do. Why do I have more comments and fewer stars? Is it because I'm a dick?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will always have more comments than stars because the staff rates a comment and if the like it the give it a star, not everything we write is informative or clever. They have not annouced anything special with the star system for the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:03 AM

    Hi Man! Thank you for your kind words. But as I posted on my blog today, you won that contest fair and square. And your blog site is very cool. I hope you're enjoying your summer!

    ReplyDelete

Mo' Money Links

Mo" Money

TV is educational. If you can't learn something everyday your box is broken.