Thursday, January 01, 2009

Marathon Man

Not the kind where you actually train for, compete with others, and run around until you puke.

New Years Eve and New Year's Day are good for watching a long marathon of stuff you've already seen or stuff you would never watch if it weren't in marathon form.

Twilight Zone is the typical choice but I'm over that. I started ( no judgments please) on Lifetime with their Top 8 of 2008 marathon, only one (?) other was doing the same. Then moved to the Planet of the Apes movies, and finally Bones.


Wisegal
Alyssa Milano plays some mobs guys girl who betrays him then wreaks havoc on some nice mob family. The story is told through the nerdy son's point of view which by his tone is some sort of criminal in the future. Granted I may have got the intent of the story wrong but that's the fun with Lifetime. Their story is rarely the whole story.

Queen Sized
Some fat chick, don't worry she gave us permission to call her that, gets to be prom queen.
The problem with this movie becomes clear when she talks to the only other fat person in school. Is it that she's alone? Nope. It's that she is as selfish as the skinny chicks. Still there is another problem that 60% of all American teens are overweight so in a school of 200, like hers, about 120 of these kids should be fat. Only two fatties in school today is ridiculous. A scene with her running with ten other girls should have 6 big girls and 4 thin ones.
She does nothing to change, uses excuses like it's hard to exercise, and tries to equate her discrimination with that of African-Americans struggles in the U.S.


Fab Five: The Texas Cheerleader Scandal
The story of mean girls or the story of the wimpiest town in America.
Girls make fun of others, get teachers fired, and beat up other cheerleaders. I'd like to point out the theme of laziness runs through all these movies. If anyone in the entire town would just knock one of these girls teeth out the story would have ended quickly. Based on several true stories.

7 Things to Do Before I'm 30
A depressed Lori Madison, played by Amber Benson, is a lucky girl who blames the world for being...um...I'm not sure why she was so depressed. She is funny, pretty, has a few men who want her, a great family, and lacks confidence. Before I have a chance to cry a river over her sad state she realizes what she has and gets married. Of course a woman's life is not complete without the marriage.

Encore 5 had all of the Planet of the Apes minus the Mark Wahlberg tragedy.
Lets sum them up.
Plant of the Apes: A future where apes rule because people got too lazy and let the apes take over. (Ignore the obvious undertones)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes: Crazy mutant men battle apes and then Moses blows the world up.
Escape from the Planet of the Apes: Three apes travel back in time to complete a time loop that will cause the future tragedy.
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes: Slave apes revolt.
Battle for the Planet of the Apes: I recorded this because I got sleepy, but I doubt anything profound will jump out.

Bones on TNT
I tend to watch the new episodes while eating at night and gets truely disgusted. Seeing this on a calm afternoon you can focus on the funny and continuing storylines. Unlike most detective shows this one has more personal stuff that recurs throughout the season.

Back in the day before seasonal DVDs this would be the only way to watch a whole bunch of shows in a row. It's good if you need to clean or organize to have it on in the background especially since radio today is crap.


One last thing was a photo I took of one subway stop. Soon we may have to pay $3.00 a fare for sub-par service, trust me it's not worth it. I appreciate the MTA's effort since I'm almost never late but the infrastucture is getting bad. Nearly every platform has dripping and leaking and wood covered temprary barriers as well as those annoy new bumpy yellow edges.

4 comments:

  1. I'm fighting vertigo again today so I've been watching the Bones marathon. I've never watched this show because I'm not attracted to any of the actors, but it was a good choice for today. I agree that this show has more personal stuff interspersed with the crimes than most procedurals on TV right now. The level of background on the doctors and agents makes me think of Cagney and Lacey.

    That was a good point you made about the movie Queen Size. I've watched several movies with that theme, but it never occurred to me that in this day and age the plus-sized women (like myself) outnumber the skinny ones. It just seems that the small girls get all the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the vertigo again avoid shows like House or you might see your symptoms.

    I was never a fan of Cagney & Lacey, should have had a marathon so I could revisit the show.

    As for the Lifetime movies I understand they must alter reality to make the point of isolation or fear but it is not accurate. There is a reason after school specials and movies-of-the-week no longer play on network TV, they lack credibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at the photo before I read your text, and I thought at first it was some sort of art installation, rather than just a lot of missing tiles.

    I think over here, Sky television were the first to start doing "back to back" and "marathon" -type shedules, and in the main, they do work. The big problem is that they seem to repeat them over and over again.

    I've lost count of the number of "Everybody Loves Raymond" days, "King of Queens" days etc. I just can't watch the same episodes over and over again! Ditto "Simpsons", "South Park"...

    The original "Planet of the Apes" has to be one of my favourite films for a great ending; when I saw old Charlton Heston do his "You blew it up!" speech for the first time, I was sitting there open-jawed. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw the last, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, and by then they I lost any interest I had in the movies, I know there is a series but haven't seen it in years and from what I recall it was horrible.

    ReplyDelete

Mo' Money Links

Mo" Money

TV is educational. If you can't learn something everyday your box is broken.