Saturday, January 10, 2009

Documentaries Do Not Equal Reality Shows

One great example of how reality shows pale in comparison to real documentaries is one of my favorites Seven Up!, 7 plus Seven, 21 Up, 28, Up, 35 Up, 42 Up, and 49 Up. Played on PBS' long running POV.
PBS logo (1971-1984)Image via Wikipedia
This epic shows the lives of several 7 year olds from Great Britain 1964 and their views of the world. Every 7 years the camera invades their lives and we see how they changed. Some eventually refuse to participate while the rest go through ups and downs and face life as it comes.

49 Up is what TV was made for this documentary lasts 3 to 7 hours depending on the cut. The late nights allow us late sleepers a chance to peer into an entire lifetime of strangers without the exploitation and showmanship of network-reality.

After this they showed Following Sean a similar doc. about a guy following a hippie kid and what happened 40 years later.

I truly enjoy PBS and before cable it was 50% of my TV time. Still today the have reel TV which I watched Donnie Darko last week and some independent films. Still love the home fixing shows, animal shows, and science on TV(the only place it still exist).

I should really give up Engineering and start my own documentary company. Talk,talk,talk...

They filmed another movie in front of my building. I didn't even notice until they were almost gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mo' Money Links

Mo" Money

TV is educational. If you can't learn something everyday your box is broken.